The day we were dreading for so long has finally come and gone and we survived.
Addilynn’s surgery to have tubes placed and adenoids removed went very well. It was very traumatizing for both baby and parents, but at this time I think we made the right decision.
Two words… anesthesia stinks
Not only was it the most horrible thing to watch her going out, but also was the most horrible thing to watch her coming off of the anesthesia.
I got to go back with her to put her under and it was by far the worst thing I have ever seen. The cold bright room, the sight of her struggle, her screams being muffled by gas flowing through the mask, the smell of the gas, her eyes intensely staring into mine as if to say “why aren’t you helping me?” and then to just go blank and slowly close, and finally kissing my corpse like child as I was rushed out of the room. All of these sights will never stop burning a hole in my heart. I only hope she doesn’t remember this horrible day. I hate the fact that she had to go through this but I can only hope it will ease her pain and suffering.
Dustin got to experience the coming out of anesthesia which we both hated. Him a little more since he didn’t get to witness the beginning stage of this process. She moaned, screamed, thrashed, stiffened and held her breath off and on for an hour before she started to just exhibit a “pissed off” attitude. She kept saying she wanted to go home over and over after the anesthesia finally wore off. We were in recovery for almost two hours. She was really swollen, looked like she had been beaten badly, and bleeding from her nose which added to awfulness of the whole situation.
I finally witnessed the child I brought to KMC with me that morning when she got to peek at the fish tank with her coat on ready to walk out the door! Thank goodness I got that glimmer of hope because the ride home was in and out of consciousness which was expected but still unwelcomed. I just wanted her to be her cheery happy self.
The Dr. said she had fluid behind her ears and that her adenoids were very thick. So he was sure we made the right decision which is reassuring, but I’m not 100% convinced yet. I am now the most paranoid person in the world when it comes to baths because for a week she can’t get them wet. Of course tonight was the first time she got to have one, but it was not fun. I feel horrible because bath time used to be her favorite time and now I just get to “intervene” the entire time. “Don’t splash” “don’t go under” “sit up” “no bubbles” “don’t touch your ear plugs” She must have been thinking I was a total drag.
Here are a few pictures from her surgery days.
Addilynn playing at Nanny and Bapa’s the night before her surgery and getting read a story by her Nanny (great grandmother)
The cutest scrub model in the world! Addilynn in her new get up getting ready to go into surgery. She got to take her piggy and puppy back with her. She sleeps with both of these every night. One under each arm. She even introduced the nurse to piggy. “This piggy” Addilynn said as she showed him off.
Getting some sympathy from her grammy and watching some Mickey Mouse with her doll she got from Auntie Doe Doe
Addilynn was so good when we got home she was sleepy most of the time but she did have some happy moments of running around and screaming. She was running around in her tutu bugling by 4:00 and then crashed for good at 6. As you can tell from the picture below.
Tonight is our first test of what may come in our future. She isn’t completely healed yet, but hopefully she has a better night tonight than her “pre surgery” sleepless nights. She went down much easier tonight instead of tossing and turning for 15 minutes she rolled once from her back to belly so fingers crossed, I think we are off to a good start! Thanks to everyone who came up, gave us words of advise, support, text messages, phone calls, and Facebook comments. You made this stressful time much easier knowing we had all the support. You guys are the best friends/family money can buy!!
It may have been a simple surgery but it was still surgery, and we survived!
3 comments:
Oh Crystal...that sounds so scary! You gave me goose bumps and made me cry thinking about her having to go under/out of anesthesia! Glad to know she only has to keep them dry for a week though!! :) I hope she is back to her normal self soon!! :)
What an ordeal! It does sound like an awful experience! I hope everything is much better going forward :)
So sad. I finally got a chance to read the story. She looks so sad in the pictures. I hope she is still feeling better. And don't worry she wont remember it, you did the right thing momma!
Post a Comment